Tuesday 14 July 2009

inspired

over the past couple of months, doubts have been cast over my decision to do maths at uni. I kept imagining it would be a whole pile of boring numbers that i would have to reorgansie to prove some equation that really didnt mean much to me. I distanced myself from maths to try and enjoy my time before i sold my life for 4 years of relentless studying. Although, sitting at home all day everyday day is not as exciting.

i decided today was the day i might as well buy a math book. So i popped down to waterstones and got myself Letters to a Young Mathmetician. Its not a math book in the literal sense, it is one of those story based mathmetical books where it isnt just random numbers and unconceivable formulae, instead it takes you on a philisophical journey through a young mathematians mind as they wish to study maths at university. It is intended not just for a budding mathematician but for their parents, friends or anyone else who expresses some interest.

i have only read the first couple of chapters, BUT it has reminded me why i chose maths at university. it reminded me that maths isnt all just about the numbers, its the ideas they embody. it reminded me just how undervalued maths is in the world today. it reminded me that the reason i chose maths in the first place was to better understand the world around us and just for the fun of it all.

and it reminded me that i love maths.

2 comments:

  1. *points finger and laughes* ew u nerd!

    lol just kidding, well not really but hopefully u get my point, on another note is that even how u spell 'laughes'? i bare cant remember

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOOOOOOOL im sure its laughs

    ...but maybe check google just in case D:

    ReplyDelete